Friday, January 23, 2015

Sometimes Life Brings Changes When You Least Expect It

For the past few years, my husband has been applying for grants to do research overseas. We were disappointed once again last spring when we received yet another rejection letter. We moved on, made plans, I got a job working part-time in an after-school daycare in the town where we live, I went back to school, he started planning his classes for spring semester, our daughter enrolled in dance classes and a basketball league...and then, he got a call saying that a major grant institution - Fulbright - had changed their minds and he was getting his grant after all. Five months to study and record a little-known language in Sri Lanka.

Not a problem! we thought. He could teach his semester, I could take my courses and work until the last week of the semester, our daughter could finish out her activities, and then we would go. After all, they generally give you four to six months to work out all the details, get visas and other documents together, and basically arrange your life so that you can be gone from it for an extended period of time.

Little did we know! Somehow, the Sri Lankan authorities, Fulbright, and my husband's work all agreed that we should leave as soon as possible, and they would make it happen. Suddenly, instead of four to six *months*, we had four to six *weeks* to get everything ready! I'm not saying this is a bad thing - given the choice of spending winter shoveling snow in Pennsylvania or spending winter sitting on a warm sandy beach in Sri Lanka, I would rather do the latter!

And so, we are almost ready to go. Our rental house is almost packed up and most of our belongings are put into storage. We have arranged for our daughter to be home-schooled while we are away. Our big 100 lb+ dog is staying with a very generous friend nearby and our two little dogs are moving back in with their 'grandparents' in Canada. My husband was released from his classes for the semester. I decided to take the semester off. And sadly, I had to give my notice at the daycare. I will really miss each and every one of those little treasures, who made me laugh every day. It has been such fun watching them grow and learn and discover. And I will miss my co-workers as well, most of whom have been so helpful over the past four months.

We are just one week away from the beginning of this new chapter in our lives.

Let the adventure begin!