Saturday, March 14, 2015

2015 March 14: Sri Lankan Style Potatoes

We love potatoes. Boiled, fried, roasted, stuffed, baked, chipped, deep-fried, mashed, saladed.... Okay, the last one is not a real word - but it should be! We love 'em all. And we have added a new version of potatoes to our long list of favourites - Sri Lankan style.

I haven't found a recipe that is remotely like any of the versions we have been served here, which includes a creamy sauce with curry or turmeric, mustard seeds, red chili flakes and a few other assorted odds and ends. But, I came up with this Sri Lankan inspired version of roasted potatoes that was downright heavenly!

Steve says that I can now add Sri Lankan to my list of world cuisines that I have mastered. I wouldn't go that far - yet - but I do love the blends of spices that are used here.

Pamela's Sri Lankan Style Potatoes

6 very large new potatoes, washed and cut into 8 pieces
4 medium purple onions, peeled and quartered
3 heads of garlic - yes, heads, not cloves!
salt
red chili flakes
1/2 tsp turmeric
oil

Put everything into a bowl and toss until the vegetables are coated with oil and the spices are spread evenly throughout the mixture. Put everything onto a baking sheet. Bake at 375. Bake about 20 minutes, then mix so that the vegetables do not burn. Continue baking until potatoes are soft and garlic has started to caramelize.

Here is a picture - everyone was gobbling them so fast that this is only half of what I made. I'm lucky I even got this shot!